Re: Ribcase Transmission Problem

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ribcase Transmission Problem
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:37:29 EST
Cc: autox@earthlink.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Hi Scott,

<autox@earthlink.net> writes:
>Hi list!
>
>THE PROBLEM -
>
>A healthy 1960 Bugeye 1275 used for autocrossing. Weber, header,
>electronic ignition, etc. Towed to events, rarely street driven,
>except to test the latest tuning effort.....   ;-).
>
>The ribcase transmission was fine except for 'scraping' into
>second and third gear before the engine rebuild. A new clutch and
>pinion bush was included in the rebuild.

You likely need new synchros here or some of the dedent ball springs
are broken.

>For me in mild street testing, and with my wife driving at last
>weekend's autocross, the transmission now likes to sneak out of
>second gear into neutral (it has the 3.90 gear, so we start with
>first and spend the duration of the course in second). This
>happens when the driver backs off of the gas, and then reapplies
>the throttle. You don't know it is out of gear until you get back
>on it.
>
>Oddly enough, during *my* eight runs at the autocross, it *never*
>came out of gear. During my wife's eight runs (same day same
>course) it came out three times! She swears the car does not like
>her......  :-)     The car is very healthy and fast. I typically
>run times with the fastest Corvettes and E Street Prepared
>Camaros and Firebirds.
>
>THE QUESTION -
>
>1) Why? What is (beginning) to fail? Why for her (and in mild
>street driving), and not under more severe conditions? Is this
>anything that can be fixed without a full rebuild?

Some rib cases, the later one, hat a retainer groove machined in the
1st/2nd gear slider ring.  It's likely that you are slamming it into
2nd gear and even with worn shifter forks the momentum of the gear
will get it into the right position.  I suspect you wife is being much
more gentle on the shifts and it simply isn't all the way into gear,
so it pops out on the power off throttle position.  May also be an
indicator of a worn 1st motion shaft bearing. (Pocket bearing)

>2) Just how complicated are these transmissions? I have rebuilt
>engines for Sprites, MGB's, 914's, Dodge slant sixes,
>318-361-383-426 V-8's, and rebuilt (1960-1970) Dodge three speed
>gearboxes. Are these complicated little suckers, or within the
>capabilities of someone fairly mechanically inclined (and no
>special tools)?

They have some quirks in assembly, but with some coaching a careful
mechanic can do it.  I've been rebuilding these for over 25 years and
know how to get a really tight gearbox.

>Is there a specific book available for purchase outlining a
>step-by-step rebuild?

Hayne manual has most of the significant info.

>3) Is it really necessary to pay the $800+ for the Mini Mania
>rebuilds, or are there usually local people who can handle a
>proper rebuild if I decide this is beyond me?

I refer to these transmissions as bombs.  You have no idea when they
will blow up.  I have long ago quit handling them because of the high
cost and high degree of unreliability.

>4) Are the improved brass synchros sold by Mini Mania and others
>really worth the extra money over the stock ones for my purposes?

There are no brass synchros in a rib case,  They are steel baulk
rings.  Brass in the smoothcase only as they have synchronizer cones.

>Any and all advice appreciated.

>Scott Meyers
>"Shiftless" in Phoenix.....   :-(
>

>Extra question - I have a 'spare' ribcase transmission that came
>with the car, but no history. Is there a way to "inspect" it to
>tell if it is in better shape than the one in the car without
>actually trying it?

Total disassermbly is the only way to check it out.

I'd be happy to give you verbal or email help on this or rebuild it
myself for you.

Regards, Paul

PS, Datsun adapter is a good solution too.  I sell those kits.

Paul Asgeirsson
Morriservice
9123 N Clarendon Ave
Portland OR 97203-2750