Colour Coding

To: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>, Daniel Thompson <dthompso@total.net>
Subject: Colour Coding
From: Brian Thornton <bthor@master.adams.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:22:17 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
 Mike Maclean wrote:

>The significance of the yellow or blue paint was to tell the men on the
>assembly line which one to grab for which side.

Colour coding is very common in automotive manufacturing. In most
instances, it is utilized for sorting purposes (i.e. sorting suspension
springs by spring rate)  During a project at Ford's light truck assembly
plant in Louisville, Kentucky, I noticed no less than three bins of front
coil springs along side the chassis assembly line.  Each box contained
springs that were painted with a particular colour stripe.  The spring
supplier sampled each spring according to free length and rate and then
marked them with a corresponding colour.  These colour coded parts enable
the line worker to quickly identify two like springs  thereby avoiding
inevitable ride and handling faults.

Brian Thornton