Re: Logo copyrights

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, "Valentine" <valntine@mail.ptd.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Logo copyrights
From: "Guy" <Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 08:31:25 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Rover/BMW can be VERY funny about use of their copyrighted logos and names.
- they own many of the old British names like MG, Riley, Austin,
Miorris,Vanden Plas (remember that string ?) and many others.
There was quite a commotion over here a year or so ago when Rover/ BMW
started threatening legal action against small restoration companies and
traders that had set up over the previous 20 years speciialising in these
marques, and using either the name or logo as part of their advertising,
leterheads or whatever.
Remember, although these were businesses, they were hardly competition for
Rover/ BMW, and they had provided the support etc etc to private owners for
20 years or more when the big company and most main dealers just wen't
interested!
The little companies had to modify their trading names to avoid heavy legal
action.
So - if you ask about copyright on the MG logo, don't expect to get the
answer that you want !!

Guy