Re: Sign off for Final Exam

To: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Sign off for Final Exam
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:46:26 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike Maclean wrote:

> Robert,
>      Don't laugh, I can probably get you a job on the railroad, but consider
> this:  you work 7 days a week with no holidays on most railroad jobs.  Your
> days last anywhere from 9 to 14 hours.  You put in a minimum of 60 to 80
> hours a week.   Management rules through fear and intimidation, holding your
> job over your head for the slightest infraction.  Discipline is suspension
> for anywhere from 2 weeks to a year or more.  The job itself is dangerous.
> In the 4 years I have been with the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway
> (formerly Santa Fe) 3 coworkers have been killed, many more injured.  I have
> personally run over a suicidal man with my train and hit (luckily empty) a
> stalled car at a crossing.  This is not to mention the carnage I have seen
> done with others trains.  They say there are 2 types of engineers: those that
> have killed someone and those that are going to.
>      Don't get me wrong, there are some railroaders that go there whole
> career and never see any of this, but these are the ones who stay in the yard
> to work.  When your out on the road with the big frieght trains, its the
> public that causes most of the problems with their ignorance.  You just can't
> stop a 10,000 ton train on a dime.  You have to plan your stops.
>    It is not like this all of the time, but some people quit if it only
> happens once.  If your serious and want to move to the Southern California or
> SouthWest area, let me know.
> Mike MacLean-60 Sprite
I tried to get on with CN about ten years ago, but was told that I could
not be on train crew because I wear prescription contacts. Thus ended
another boyhood dream......Went on to study Mechanical Engineering with
the idea of designing locomotives at London Diesel Division of EMD but
got sidetracked somewhere. Now I settle with having the Norfolk Southern
run directly across the street from me. Good luck at school, I have seen
the simulators and have always wanted to operate one. Run 8

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC