[BOUNCE spridgets@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from ["Jeff C

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [BOUNCE spridgets@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from ["Jeff Church" <jchurch7@home.com>]]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:30:21 -0700 (MST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

     Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:53:09 -0800
     From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch7@home.com>
     Subject: Re: DCOE

Larry,
I used to have that same setup on my Bugeye but got rid of it.  It was
jetted correctly, but it just had no low end.  Used to scare the hell out of
me going through intersections not quite sure if she was going to bog down
on me.  I traded my entire setup for a set of original 1 1/8 SUs with all of
the fixin's -- right down to the heat shield and overflow pipes.  Best thing
I've ever done for the car.  Accelerates smooth as silk.  Of course the SUs
do not have that great throaty sound as the DCOE.

As for your 40, what manifold did you get for it?  A Gannon?  Mine had a
do-dad on it that held the throttle return spring setup and it worked fine.
The choke (or "cold start unit" as it is called on the Weber) can actually
go either way.  It sounds like you got the left actuated cold start unit.
You are right, it takes a long cable and it essentially has to bend 180
degrees to work.  Those carbs are stock on Alfa's where the carb is on the
opposite side of the engine than the Sprite, so its no problem for the
Italians.  I just seemed counter-intutitive on the Bugeye though.  I found
that they make the right-handed version of the cold start unit that bolts
right on in place of the left-hand unit.  I got mine from Skip at Shadetree
Motors in CA for about $23 (as I recall).  It is the only way to go.

BTW, once I reversed my choke on my 40, I also shortened the cable -- you
pretty much have too.  Then I put the SUs on and guess what, the bloody
choke cable is too short.  Of course the cable was one of the many things I
had ordered from AH Spares as I could not find a suitable version here in
the States.  Oh well, its all better now.

Jeff Church