Re: Dielectric grease(long)

To: Thecarguru@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dielectric grease(long)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:55:22 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/13/99 11:32:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Thecarguru@aol.com writes:

<< Besides, if I wanted to really screw things up, I WOULD put a conductive
 grease into the backup light switch. That way the lights would be on ALL THE
 TIME now wouldnt they??  The backup light switch on the 1500 Midgets has (of
 all things stupid) a HOLE in the middle of the plastic end, that allows air,
 moisure, dirt, etc into the switch. Many of these switches simply corrode and
 quit working.  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Very valid points.  I was passing on what was posted, and the results of a
test I did.  It seems to me that if the contacts in a switch or bulb are not
fully touching, dielectric grease would insulate them, but they wouldn't be
working very well anyway.

So, I stand corrected, and now I will make sure that all the contacts are
clean and firm, then use some dielectric on them.  Certainly using a conductor
in a switch would cause the switch to complete a circuit.  I may not agree
with packing the grease into a socket, as that may push spring contacts away
from good connection, put a liberal coating is needed to prevent corrosion.

Thanks for the info, Gary and Crash.

Allen Hefner #51
'77 Midget (DSP)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS)