Re: Stuck in 1st

To: Justin Cook <justincook@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck in 1st
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:47:19 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Justin Cook wrote:

> My transmission won't come out of first gear (1275 with ribcase).  The
> clutch seems to be working reasonably well.  But no matter how hard I
> pull, it won't budge.
>
> What is the problem?  What is the solution? (You know the one that
> doesn't involve pulling the engine)
>
> Thanks
> Justin Cook

Justin

Drive it hard and fast in first, wind it up and try pulling the shifter
into second. Jerk it while driving by hitting the gas and letting off.
Sometimes they pop out of first.
You don't want to know WHY it got stuck.

If the 3 detent spring loaded balls didn't pop out all the way, you can
save a tranny teardown, if they popped out.... I told you you didn't
want to hear this!

If you get it un-stuck, drain the trans oil, look for mangled little
springs, (up to 3 of them) about the size of a ballpoint pen spring,
also look for up to 3 small ball bearings about the size of a BB.

If you get it unstuck and there are no *parts* come out with the oil,
you are lucky. (I have been lucky about 50% of the time)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ