PCV _again_

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: PCV _again_
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:07:34 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Spridgeteers,

My Mk3 Sprite came with a 1275 from (I think) a '67. It has no PCV valve
(though one came in a box of parts) and no tube coming out of the valve
cover, though the oil filler cap is vented. The timing chain cover has an
oil separator with no hose. The engine of course leaks. The worst leak is
at the front seal. Now, I know that I'll eventually have to replace that
seal. But, in the mean time, I'd like to cut leaks as much as possible.

My questions are:

1. Will installing a functional PCV system potentially lessen the leak from
the front seal?

2. If I install the PCV and plumbing, should I replace the vented oil
filler cap with a non-vented cap? My concern is that with the vented cap
I'd simply be drawing air in at the cap and not actually pulling a vacuum
on the system. OTOH, possibly the vented cap is helping with crankcase
ventilation.

Thanks for your time and thoughts on this.

Jeff

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/