Re: Master Cylinder

To: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:46:43 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Folks,
        FYI. The inexpensive rebuilt master cylinders you are speaking of are
rebuilt by A1 Cardone and marketed by them and/or Crown Remanufacturing:
both of Philadelphia. They say R&R only which means they don't have any
ready to ship AND they don't have any cores. You may find some at various
jobbers or distributors. Another remanufacturer is Roadstar out of
California. You'll find their cylinders marketed by Beck/Arnley - World
Parts. They are approximately double the price. They also do not include
the reservoir. They are showing only 5 at their distribution centers as of
today.
        While the Crown/A1 unit is honed and rebuilt using original components,
the Roadstar is overbored .010" and thusly uses larger seals. Their
arguement is that it takes that much to clean-up the bore with which I
agree. HOWEVER, should you ever need to rebuild that cylinder, you will
need the oversize seals. (there is a sticker on the cylinder with that
warning) You are hoping that they will be available when next you need a
rebuild or prepare yourself for a sleeving job, which is the best route
regardless.
        Anyway, part numbers.... Crown/A-1  11-1671 or a derivation of that.
Beck/Arnley 078-0010
Hope this helps.
Peter C.

davenesseth@innocent.com
>Try Forest City Auto Parts...I used to deal with them in Buffalo NY and
>they are based in the Chicago Area...Their motto is if someone else can
>get it at that price, we will find a way to get it too....
>
>Mark Snowdon
>Greensboro NC
>
>PS> If youy just can't find one out there let me know and I will have a
>friend of mine that runs a store UPS one to you.

Peter Caldwell
1 very rough Innocenti
(the Sprite with an accent)
among other LBCs and 4WDBCs