Back in the Real World

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Back in the Real World
From: Glenn Goodspeed <ggoodspe@startext.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:41:48 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
O patient listers:

After just five months of extrememly happy motoring in my '61 Bugeye,
I'm forced to put her in the barn until next October.  Push-starting her
whenever she's warm is the last straw.

Hey, how come you have to pull the engine to fix anything on these
cars?  No one told me this coming into it, and now I have at least three
reasons to pull the engine even after pulling it once before ever
putting the car on the road.

I wonder if this last reason is fairly common.  Whenever the outside air
is over about 65 degrees F and the engine is fully warmed up, the car
won't start.  The starter cranks over with exactly the same sound as
normal, but the engine turns only a half-turn or so every couple of
seconds, and stays motionless most of the time.  I'm guessing it's a
loose ring gear.  Has this happened to you?  Any other ideas?

Oh, yeah, putting her back in the shed, I noticed one of the rear lights
was out, so I tapped on it and, sure enough, it lit right up.   -Glenn.