Re: Midget questions

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Midget questions
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:47:52 -0800 (PST)
Cc: jays@paonline.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> With a 'taller' diff ratio while the rpm may drop for any given road speed
> which is desirable in 4th gear it has the negative effect of widening the
> effective ratios in the box.

Daniel,
thanks for saying that!
For all these years, I was not aware of this fact; it is obvious, I just
never thought of it!  I used to think it only affects 1st gear and in all
other gears the shift points are simply shifted (no pun).

But of course, if you have a 1000rpm drop when shifting and then changed
you diff, you would get

1000rpm * 4.22 / 3.7 = 1141rpm drop.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9