Re: Brake Shoes

To: spritenut@Exit109.com
Subject: Re: Brake Shoes
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 22:55:39 EST
Cc: Bkitterer@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 20:18:34 -0500 Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
writes:
>Bkitterer@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> While in the process of replacing the rear axle bearings and seals I
>noticed
>> that the lower half of the leading brake shoe is almost worn out,
>about 1/32"
>> left.  This is true for both sides of the car although the brakes
>have only
>> 6,000 miles of use.  The trailing shoes have about 3/32" remaining.
>New wheel
>> cylinders were installed at the same time as the shoes.  Am puzzled
>about this
>> odd wear.
>
>Bob and Annice
>
>Three possibles for this problem.
>1) you drive with the hand brake on.
>2) you keep the rear brakes adjusted too tight.
>3) brake drums are out of round.
>

>--
>Frank Clarici
>Toms River, NJ
>Bugeye Sprite
>67 Sprite
>59 A40
>http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/

I'd like to add another one.  The shoes used to be supplied with two
different friction materials.  Hard for the leading shoe and soft for the
trailing shoe.  Hard on the leading as it is self energizing and wears
faster, that's the bottom one on a Bug Eye.  Now the shoes have the same
material on each.  Go figure.

Paul
PAsgeirsson