Re: Previous Offset Bushing Question

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>, "Rick Williams" <redfish@premier.net>
Subject: Re: Previous Offset Bushing Question
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:14:30 +1100
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
One thing to note about lowering the car is that  you introduce
bump steer. Unlike most racetracks, streets are often bumpy and the
car can get pretty darty under brakes if bump steer becomes significant.

On the few occaisions I have driven my old racecar on the street (legally),
the car was downright dangerous on bumpy roads.

I have since fixed the bump steer.

How much lowering causes the problem? Can't say for sure except that
the bugeye is about 1.5 - 2" lower and it didn't need the fix except when
running Hoosier Street TDs. These tyres seem to be very sensitive to
bump steer - the Dunlop Formula Rs weren't bothered.

The old race car run an exhaust tunnel through the passenger footwell, so
it could run *very* low!

Mike