Re: camber?

To: "Jeff Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: camber?
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:18:25 +1100
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Sprites come with (theoretically) 0 degrees camber. This is pretty OK
with crossply tyres but radials like some negative camber in normal
cornering.

Add to this ideal the fact that spridget's suspension geometry being what
it is, you'll get some positive camber with body roll. This costs cornering
grip.

So, you can help by setting a static neg camber to end up with close to zero
or up to 3 or 4 degrees camber at maximum cornering.

Spridgets don't have a standard mechanism for adjusting camber hence the
discussion about offset bushes. Myself, I use replacement trunnions that
give more neg camber. Simple and effective and they can't rotate!

You can buy gauges to measure camber (and castor), but for most
people a trip down to the wheel alignment shop is easier. I guess you
could make one yourself with a builders level and a protractor.

Mike