Re: Camber et al

To: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>, "Spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Camber et al
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:54:46 +1100
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
It is great to see Peter Westcott on this list - he is a member of my
club - the Austin Healey Sprite Drivers Club; he has a few Sprites (Bugeye
and MkIV and Angela has a MkII); and is a very knowledgeable fellow
when it comes to Sprites. He is also a great source of trivia but be warned
he
has a very warped sense of humour! Welcome to the list Peter!

Now to the points:

Adjusting corner weights! that's a bit serious for sprites! It is certainly
SOP for real racecars...

It is difficult to adjust roll centers at the front because it requires a
geometry
change. You *can* adjust the roll centre at the rear with a panhard rod -
the roll centre is the height at which the panhard rod crosses the car's
centerline. This is handy for fine tuning the handling.

Here are some good books:

Racecar Engineering and Mechanics - Paul Van Valkenburgh
Tune to Win - Carroll Smith
Inside Racing Technology - Paul haney & Jeff Braun

The first is a terrific all round intro, the second a must read with
lots and lots of detail. the third covers lots of topics in a more
conversational style with case studies and graphs for support.

There are others, some of which require a college degree in
engineering dynamics!

Mike