Rear axel is CROOKED!!! The tire is rubbing!!!

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear axel is CROOKED!!! The tire is rubbing!!!
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:01:05 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hey Folks!!!

Somehow during moving, the rear axle of the Sprite is no longer straight.
What appears to have happened, as it bounced around on the trailer moving
from Texas. The chain was tied around the left sift of the axle housing.
>From this I am guessing that as the car rocked. it pulled that side forwards
in relation to the car, and caused the right side to slide back so the right
tire is snug to the rear fenderwell.  The rear hanger of the spring on that
side is now laying flat at rest, while the left side still has an inch
between the spring and the car.  I had to jack up the car and insert an
impact socket between the spring and the hanger to give the right tire
enough clearance to roll the car off the trailer and in the carport.

I am guessing that the right spring is shot. I can't see any damage, the
axle is definitely askew, but nothing seems broken, or under any particular
strain.  Any thing else I should be looking for in the damage department?

Hoping that he hasn't really messed everything up this time,

Patton

---
Patton Dickson - Madison, MS - http://members.xoom.com/spridget/
67 AH Sprite