RE: To everyone on the list: Virus Warning!!!!!!

To: "'Metallian6@aol.com'" <Metallian6@aol.com>
Subject: RE: To everyone on the list: Virus Warning!!!!!!
From: "Elliott, Patrick" <PElliott@attws-wr.swest.attws.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:36:12 -0800
Cc: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Please go to these web pages any time you are concerned about any virus
warning. Even if your own mother tells you about it. I appreciate the good
intentions.

http://kumite.com/myths/home.htm
http://www.stiller.com/guts.htm
http://www.urbanlegends.com/

What they have to say about this "Virus"
"We have seen very little new lately in hoaxes; mostly rehashes of prior
hoaxes (see Old Hoaxes Combined.) and this one falls into that category. I
have hesitated to post a specific warning about this hoax because I believed
that readers of our hoax page would immediately recognize this is a hoax
because it contains so much text stolen from prior hoaxes but sadly this
isn't the case.

Note that only the beginning of this hoax contains some new text. But even
this "new text" fits into the old hoax pattern started by The "Good Times"
Email virus hoax. Where you are warned to avoid a virus by shunning email
with some particular title. It also contains the sure-fire hoax indicator of
asking you to forward this message to others. (If you see a virus warning
like this, you should disregard it.)

Here is the beginning of this hoax:

VIRUS WARNING !!!!!!!
       If you receive an email titled "It Takes Guts to Say 'Jesus,'" DO
       NOT open it.  It will erase everything on your hard drive.
       Forward this letter out to as many people as you can. This is a
       new, very  malicious virus and not many people know about it.
       This information was announced yesterday morning from IBM; please
       share it with everyone that might  access the Internet. Once
       again, pass this along to EVERYONE in your  address book so that
       this may be stopped.

>From this point on, the hoax contains text from the old "Undelivered Mail"
hoax:

       Also, do not open or even look at any mail
       that says "RETURNED OR UNABLE TO DELIVER." This  virus will
       attach itself to your computer components and render them
       useless.  Immediately delete any mail items that say this.
Now the hoax tries to claim some legitimacy by referring to AOL:

AOL has said that this is a very dangerous virus and that there is NO remedy
for it at this
time. Please practice cautionary measures and forward this to all your
online friends ASAP.

There is no such thing as a virus with no remedy. And yet again we see the
class hoax sign; a request to "forward this to all your online friends".
Anytime you see this in an email, you can assume that the message is a hoax!
"