Clutch Defects

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Defects
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 00:05:07 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I need a bit of wisdom here.
1st, the senerio...
74 Midget, 1275, dead stock. The PO installed a brand new 3 piece clutch
but never started or drove the car. I got it running and drove it around
the block a few times, the clutch was perfect. I did a complete
hydraulic rebuild before driving it.
A potential buyer wants to drive the Midget, the clutch does not fully
engage and the car creeps with the pedal fully depressed.
I figure it needs a rebled but the pedal feels firm.
Rebleed, no change, install longer pin, no change! Now I am confused.
Yank the engine, replace the clutch disc and p/plate, all is perfect
again.
Tonight I examined the disc, it is brand new and shiny as is the p/plate
but there is a rattle in the plate. Upon futher inspection I see a wire
circle flapping around on the inside of the pressure plate. I take a
look at a few other p/plates and they all have this wire but it is
inserted around the rivets of the plate. This one just does not go back
where it is supposed to be.
I assume this is what gave out on the clutch.

The questions. What is this wire? What does it do? Can it be put back
where it belongs? Factory defect? Or should I just chalk it up to
another "file to fit" part by that 4 letter word and throw it out?
(remember I did not buy it but I know where it came from)

It is a Borg & Beck made in England.
Thanks
--
Frank Clarici