Re: Alternator conversion

To: Kurt Guerdrum <toadhall@vonl.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator conversion
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:10:59 -0500
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Kurt Guerdrum wrote:

> Here's what I hope is an easy question for Frank and/or the list:
> I am starting the alternator conversion that Frank wrote up in
> PDLJMPR.  I picked up an alternator from an 89 Mazda at the neighborhood
> junkyard (does this indicate what kind of neighborhood I live in?) and
> was all set to get started when I looked at the connections on it.
> This alternator has only one large "nut & bolt" screw-on terminal, and
> two recessed plug type connections on the back.  I was expecting to
> see two screw-on terminals, one large and one small, so I am stymied.
> Did I get the wrong alternator?  I don't want to experiment with
> connections because given even a 50-50 chance of success, I will defeat
> the laws of probability and always choose the wrong alternative.
> Any ideas, advice, etc will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks guys,
> Kurt
> '60 Bugeye

Kurt

Relax, you found the correct alternator.
The large terminal with the nut is for the heave wire from the
generator.
The recess "T" shaped plug is used for the ignition warning light on the
dash.
Use the bottom (verticle) leg of the T terminal for the ign light. Leave
the other terminal Of the T blank.
Also, I never updated the tech tip on PDLJMPR, you have to grind or file
about 1/8th inch off the top front ear of the alternator or water pump
ear to get a perfect alignment of the fan belt. You will see what I
mean, mount the alt and eyeball the fanbelt from the right side, if it
is not in line, (most are not) grind either the w/pump or alt ear. The
w/pump ear is easier and can be returned for generator use with a thick
washer.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ