Rear axel casings

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear axel casings
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:24:21 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hey guys,

As I said last week, my rear axel wound up askew after trailering it from Texas
to Mississippi.

After suggestions from Frank and others, I tried to use a BFH to get the axel
straigt.

I jacked the rear of the car up and put it on jack stands, then removed the
rear wheels to get a good look.
The spring are definitally a major part of the situation as the right side rear
is hanging behind the
upper mounting point of the schackle, and the left side is hanging ahead of the
shackel mounting point.
I also tried to use a crowbar to force it forward, but it went right back to
where it was.  The spring mounts
at the front and rear appear to be fine, which seems to be good news.  I looked
everywhere for something
that appears to be bend, but nothing seems to be.  My guess (tell me I'm wrong,
please) is that one of the
springs (probablly the left) has lost some of it's tension and is now elongated.

I happened to be driving by the junkyard I bought the rear axel shafts and the
rest of the parts for the wire
wheel conversion today, and stopped by to see if the Midget that was the donor
for those parts was still there.
Unblivable as it sounds, the car was still there after 10 years.  I have
purchased the top bows, wire wheel
parts, a bonnet, and seat belts from this car many years ago.  There is not
much else left, but the differential
housing (minus the axels) and the springs are there.  The fellow wants $200 for
that plus the springs (inflation
sure has taken place).

Should I grab these parts?  I probablly can get him to throw the shocks in
while I'm at it, which would make
the price sting a little less.  Is this worth the money (proximity with no
shipping helps some).  Will this stuff
even  do me any good, or do I just need new springs?  I would actually have
wire wheel differential castings
instead of the steel wheel ones at the same time, but I realize that for a
street car that is not a major issue.

BTW the guy SAYS he has a nice running 1980 Midget if anyone is interested.
The car is located 50 miles
south of Jackson, MS (about 150 miles from New Orleans).  I'll check the car
out if anyone is looking.

Thanks in advance,

Patton
----