Re: Mig Welder Recommendation

To: lbull@dreamscape.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mig Welder Recommendation
From: Kroyell@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 00:08:43 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/25/99 9:48:22 AM, lbull@dreamscape.com writes:

Being new to the spridget list having just this week become the proud owner
of a 1960 bugeye along with my other distractions listed below I need some
advice on purchasing a MIG welder. I am sure this has hit the list before
but it will all be new to me.  Can anyone help a confused guy as to what he
needs for general panel and frame welding.

I have looked at Lincoln, Century and Tip Tools.  Of these the Lincoln seams
to be the most expensive has the name brand and reputation and I am sure
will do the job but I can buy the Century locally for a lot less, does
anyone have experience with Century MIG welders?  Tip Tools has what may be
the cheapest MIG welder out there complete with cart, $389 for a MIG-110 and
$449 for a MIG-130 has anyone used either one of these and are they worth
considering.  I have bought Tip stuff in the past and be very satisfied.
One final question for those who have used one are the Auto-Darkening
helmets worth the expense.

Keep the Rubber Side Down!
Larry Bull - lbull@dreamscape.com
62 AH BT7 Tri Carb
60 Bugeye Sprite

I have a 85 amp Dayton (made by Century) and have done a lot of welding with
it (purchased about 5 years ago). The only thing that I would change is the
fact that the welding wire is always HOT when the unit is in the on position.
It is my understanding that this in not the case in the Lincoln and other high
end units & that the wire go's HOT only when you push the trigger. I have been
able to weld 1/4 inch thick steel with no problem and sheet metal with much
success even though I don't yet have the mig gas option and am using flux core
wire at this time. If you buy a welder that is always hot like mine the auto
darkening helmet would be a big bonus since you have to hold the tip just off
the surface while you lower the helmet or lens. (wish I had one) The main
problem I have had with sheet metal is from the lack of a Variable power or
heat selector. This unit has 4 heat settings and many times it seems that you
need to be somewhere in between, maybe it would be better if I where using gas
in a real MIG mode. Of course all of this is my opinion and I am not a Pro.
Welder.