Re: rotary in a Sprite?

To: "Toby Atwater" <tob@taltec.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rotary in a Sprite?
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 08:25:37 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Toby,

There is a photo of a rotary-powered Sprite at the URL given below. It's
the black Bug-eye with red and white checkerboard on the nose and rockers.
I saw it run at Road Atlanta. Very fast, beat the GRM Ro-Spit, but then,
it's a racercar.

http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/track/trackday.html

A difference between the rotary and the BMC A is that the rotary will not
pull at low rpm. A friend who owns an RX-7 says it doesn't really show
anything until you've gone past 7,000 rpm. This is obviously not a problem
with all that (relatively) excess power, but it will change the feel of
in-town and twisty-bits driving quite a bit I suspect.

Jeff

---
On 3/27/99, Toby  Atwater wrote:
>Has anybody toyed with the idea of a rotary in a sprite? the Torque on
>these things
>is amazing! and the HP? through the roof.... and they are light!
>of course they are only good for 30 000 miles.... but what fun for 30 000
>miles!
>
>seems like a much better alternative to a v8... ackk....
>
>I don't want to do such a conversion but it would be fun to toy with
>
>Just an idea... tell me your thoughts.....
>
>Toby

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis