Re: observations of LBC ownership

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: observations of LBC ownership
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:59:13 EST
Cc: lbull@dreamscape.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:11:30 EST Ajhsys@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 3/27/99 6:09:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>lbull@dreamscape.com writes:
>
>>I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of the young generation
> >calling my MG's and AH's a Porche.  It seems that anything remotely
> >looking like a sports car is a porche to the kids in the
>neighborhood.
> >All my cars are porche's except the TD it a lowered Model A.
> >
> >Rick
>
><< The sad part will be when they don't care enough to recognize our
>cars as
> special at all.  I really enjoy teaching young people that come
>around to
> gawk a little about LBC's and truthfully they seem appreciative and
>willing
> to learn.  Considering the lack of opportunity they have to
>experience these
> cars it's no wonder they don't know what they are.
>
> Larry Bull - lbull@dreamscape.com >>
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>An important point larry.  Our LBCs transend the march of time.  If we
>oldsters (no offense!) don't show the kids the attraction of real
>sports cars,
>along with the knowledge to keep them running and the responsibility
>to drive
>them safely, there will be no next generation to take them into the
>future.
>We should take the time to show them off, and to talk to the kids at
>the auto
>shows or in the neighborhood.
>
>To all you young pups out there on the list, keep up the good work.
>
>Allen Hefner
>'77 Midget
>'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

I agree with all the above.  A good look at some of the other car markets
show some interesting things.  The Model T market is terribly depressed.
The folks who loved them and owned them are dying off and their children
aren't trying to keep them running as they don't really know how to.  The
same is happening to the Model A market.  The old timers that were loving
them and know how to keep them running and modifying them are also dying
off and they are able to be purchased at really distressed prices as
again the knowledge base to keep them going is disappearing.

My street is a cul de sac that ends at a grade school and city park.
When I have a Morris outside doing some work on it, teenagers very
frequently politely ask from the street if they can see them and the
answer is always "of course."  They are fascinated by them and ask all
sorts of questions and poke their heads in and under all around them.  If
I can kindle any interest in LBC's to them I really try.  These kids that
ask to see them are part of the quiet unseen teeners that are always
industrious and studying and being inordinately polite.  These are the
ones that never make it into the newspapers as doing something wrong and
we tend to overlook these legions of good kids.  Any encouragement in
their interest in LBC's should always be approached with enthusiasm on
our part.  They may well be the ones who buy our little cars in the
future because someone took the time to show off the cars to them.  They
are not only our future, but the future of our cars.

Paul
PAsgeirsson

Four wonderful sons
Three great daughter in laws