RE: Ring gear

To: "Elliott, Patrick" <PElliott@attws-wr.swest.attws.com>
Subject: RE: Ring gear
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:30:05 -0800 (PST)
Cc: LBCarNut@aol.com, spritenut@Exit109.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, "'Nory P'" <nory_midget@yahoo.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Correct.  I think I used a hacksaw, but you could also use a grinder.
Just make sure you don't cut into the flywheel.  When you get close, use a
hammer and chisel.
One cut is plenty!

BTW, I heated my ring gear to about 400 deg. and it worked just fine.
Before you remove the peices from the freezer and the oven, clear an area
on teh workbench, ready a hammer and drift, and read your shop manual
about which way around the gear goes on.   Then once the pieces are on teh
bench, some very light tapping is all that's needed (at least for me) to
make sure it is seated correctly.  It's much less dramatic than I had
thought.

Ulix

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Elliott, Patrick wrote:

> Well, I would cut the old ring gear, one or two cuts would suffice. Then it
> would fall off.  I never done this, but I think it makes the most sense.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9