Re: Radios, antennas, and speakers?

To: "Chuck Ciaffone" <chuckc@ibm.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radios, antennas, and speakers?
From: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:07:00 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Re: cutting a hole for the antenna:

****Inspired by Frank Clarici's continual zest for saving money while adding
comfort and value to your car.

I too, was hesitant to cut a hole for the antenna as I had had the body man
fill in the old one....I liked the cleaner lines.   (I had him fill in the
windshield washer nipple holes too, but that's another story.)

so, I fabricated a small "L" shaped bracket about 1.5" wide made out of
sheet aluminum.  Each leg of the "L" is about 2" long.  The whole aluminum
piece was about 4" x 2" x 1/4" thick.  I bent a right angle in it in my vice
and smoothed out the edges.

I then drilled a 1" hole on 1 side of the "L" to accomodate a universal
aftermarket FM antenna, then I drilled a 5/8" hole on the other leg of the
"L" to accomodate the right rear bumper mounting bolt (the upper one).
Since the shaft of the antenna is removable, I just unscrew it and put it in
the boot when I want to put the carcover on.  Route the antenna lead through
the bottom of the trunk where it's not visible.  Make sure to put a gromet
on the antenna lead or you'll get dirt/crap through the hole and chafing on
the lead.

Reception is great, and the ground is good to the bumper bolt.  The whole
thing took me about 15 minutes to make.

Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty") HAN8L-63423
Research Geographer  612.931.3936 (voice)
Navigation Technologies  612.931.3937 (fax)
5780 Lincoln Dr  Ste. 100 612.308.2595 (mobile)
Edina, MN  55436  carlson@navtech.com