Re: Townsend now Britfest now Walter Mitty

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Townsend now Britfest now Walter Mitty
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 23:57:24 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, the boys way down south were at the Walter Mitty Challenge at Road
Atlanta. Bob Spruck of this list had his qualifying race and had a great
set of lap times. He steed is a '67 Midget. Looks great, runs great. He
also got me and my wife in as crew. Thanks  Bob!

The racing was pretty wild - one race had the big Healey (106 car) made
from original works parts, an Aston Marton 'Bond' car, and several really
exotic racers. Most impressive was a Lotus 7 that kept up with the exotics,
finishing 3rd. The crowd really liked that guy, and with that open cockpit,
you could really see him working.

BUT, the most fun to watch was Group 2 with all the Spridgets, Spits,
Minis, coupla MGAs, etc.  All really tight, pushing each other hard. Like
my wife Claudia said, they just _seem_ to be so much more competitive yet
having so much more fun than the other groups. I have to admit, everytime a
Mini whipped around a curve, she and I just had to laugh. I mean, we know
they're serious racers, but like Claudia says, you keep expecting them to
pull over and let out the troup of Shriners.

And yes, we took the Sprite to the races and yes, I was wearing the list
t-shirt. It's amazing how you're automatically accepted when you show up in
the paddock area driving something that no sane person would be driving. On
the way back we hit Paddy Jameson's Pub just down the road from the track,
had a quick dinner, then got lost trying to take back-back roads home. Had
a blast, but boy were we playing hooky (we both shoulda been back by 6:00 -
oops!). Thanks again, Bob, it was great to finally meet you!

Jeff

---
On 5/2/99, Frank Clarici wrote:
>Amy Turner wrote:
>
>> By the way, is there a problem with the mail server today, or is
>>everyone out
>> DRIVING?!
>>

>Well the eastern Spridgeteers attended Britfest 99.
>I can now put a face to Larry Macy and yes he was in Bell Bottoms!
>George, Biff, Larry, Alan Greski, Nick, Myself, and a few others were
>there.
>George and Nick took home trophys in the Sprite class. Biff should have
>but was running a little late (Moss alarm clock Biff?)
>George was "assessorized" complete with skiis on his ski rack!
>A perfect day for it. My Sprite ran perfectly for 220 miles @ 65+ mph.
>So to answer the question about everybody being out driving, YES!!

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html