RE: Need TVR info

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Need TVR info
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 16:29:16 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I was on the TVR list. The volume was so low (one per month) that it may
have disappeared.

Most U.S. TVR's of that era came with the TR6 engine. Are you sure they
changed the engine? because the one you describe was also original equipment
at the time.

The cars are essentially hand built and suffer from durability related
problems. They are high maintenance and "fall apart" very fast if you don't
stay on top of things. The mechanicals are "borrowed" from popular cars of
the period so they don't pose any more or any less problems than the cars
they were borrowed from. It is the little things like electricals,
switchgear, trim, paint etc that will drive you nuts.

Some other unique problems are: cramped (particularly if over 6' or 200
pounds), no foot or leg room, shifter is in your armpit, fiberglass
cracking. I looked at one for sale locally that looked like a perfect
driver. I figured I did not have to check underneath because fiberglass cars
don't rust, right? Wrong! The space frame is made up of a lot of fragile
little tubes welded together by hand. On this car the little tubes had just
about rusted away. Check for accident damage too. Space frames are not easy
to repair.

Since they are so rare and no one stocks parts or has knowledge you will
have a hard time repairing the car. For instance, the front hub, disc,
brakes, bearings, steering arms etc. all come from different Brit cars of
the era. But which bit comes form which car? These were by far the most
common questions on the list.

As for your candidate: they always need "TLC", the price is high by about
$3000 and consider the fact that you will have a hard time selling if you
regret your decision later.

Only buy it if you intend on becoming a TVR "nutball" and check the full
history first.

Daniel T.