Re: Value of CB Midget

To: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Value of CB Midget
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:57:29 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Tough to say from the description (not faulting you, just tough to say).
What is the mileage? Did you do any suspension checks? Suspension repairs
can be time and money consuming. The rust as described could go either way
- that is, it could be minor, but I suspect that in the areas you describe
it's going to be expensive to repair. The tranny is probably shot, based on
the fact that these trannies are weak. All up, it sounds like you'll need
to spend at least a couple of thousand to make this into a decent daily
driver. I'd offer $500 and then duck.

At 9:41 AM -0400 5/6/99, Richard D Arnold wrote:
> All:
>
> I looked over a '69 Midget the other day as a potential project, and seek
> the list's collective wisdom as to its value.  It was taken out of
> service about two years ago when the owner misdiagnosed a bad slave
> cylinder as a bad clutch, and removed the engine to replace the clutch.
> Although the parts are scattered hither and yon across the garage where
> it currently resides, it appears to be complete.
>
> BODY:  Solid, light surface rust in quarters behind rear wheels, surface
> rust in the upper seam of the right rocker panel.  Cheap and bad paint
> job.  Bumpers straight and rust free, good chrome finish.  Chrome trim on
> left wing attached with wood screws through the trim.  Bottom edge of
> same wing loose (either not attached or mount points rusted through).
> Radiator support panel slightly crumpled; presumably from when current
> owner and helper lifted engine out by hand and set there momentarily
> (heck, who needs a tilting device?).  One approximately one inch rust
> hole in underside above jacking point; another on same side at outside
> corner of footwell.  Seals and glass appear new, non-clouded, excellent
> condition.  Wire wheels in fair condition; tires bad (including rear
> snows).  Overall, the body was straight and sound.  Looks as though left
> wing was crumpled at one point and replaced, but saw no evidence of frame
> bending, etc.
>
> INTERIOR:  Aftermarket wood wheel, poor condition.  Padded dash cracked
> in several places.  New carpet kit in excellent condition; seats are
> shot.  Panels are straight and unripped.  Horn wired to toggle switch in
> column cover.  Guages allegedly work.  Has tonneau, boot cover, and top;
> all in fair condition.
>
> BRAKES:  MC needs rebuilt; saw no evidence of leaking at wheels; e-brake
> assembly works.
>
> GEARBOX:  Appeared to be no greasier than normal.  Shifts smoothly
> through gear positions; no idea if it works (allegedly did when parked).
> Clutch needs reinstalled, and needs the slave and MC rebuilt.
>
> ENGINE:  Complete.  Oil no dirtier than normal, no smell of gas or gritty
> feel.  Turns over with a little effort by hand (smooth, no grinding or
> catching).  All parts and ancillary components are available.  Has
> generator.
>
> Suggestions as to price to be offered?
>
> Also, what the heck is it with LBCs that causes one to want to acquire so
> many?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD