Chateau Elan

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Chateau Elan
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 23:20:26 +0100
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Did anyone attend British Car Day at Chateau Elan? It was a beautiful day
with over 500 Brit cars in attendance. There were serveral spridgets,
though I think maybe more Sprites (combined bugeye and squarebody) than
Midgets. There was a gorgeous rubber bumper painted white with bumpers
painted (!) beige. Sounds weird, but it worked.

It was neat driving up I-85 to the Chateau and picking up random LBCs. By
the time we got there (from Emory U) we were in a caravan with a Lotus
Elan, a couple of Bs, an A, and an old Rover (not Land Rover). That Rover
really hauled, we hit 80 several times, which is really chuffing along for
my Sprite and in Atlanta traffic is, shall we say, exciting. At least I can
see under the semi's and SUVs. The Rover driver was fearless. We went
through registration at the same time - turns out that he was not the
owner. The owner was the guy in front of him towing an ancient Singer (I
think) with a '68 Mercury land yacht.

My wife attended the show with an eye towards finding a replacement for the
Sprite (gasp!). After looking over all the field though, it was like the
story of the 3 bears. Triumph TR series are neat, but too big. Big Healeys
are sexy, but too expensive. MGAs are sexy and not too expensive, but for
some reason, not a daily driver in her mind. MGBs would be just right, but
there are too many of them to be 'special' enough. And so on. So, she
decided that we must restore the Sprite to the level of that done by the
past president of the AH club. That Mk3 won gold concours last year at its
first showing. Hey, I just go with the flow on these types of high-level
decisions.  Of course, my gold level includes a 1380 and Datsun 5-speed
tranny and maybe a fiberglass front end (my panels and bonnet need repair,
so what the heck).

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html