Re: Temperature Question

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Temperature Question
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:28:49 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
No direct effect, as you say.... but there is the possibility (remote, in this
case), that if he's operating close to boiling on his gage temp, that he's
experiencing excessive localized boiling at hot spots within the engine.  This
occasionally causes enough entrained vapor to be generated in the fluid to
affect the pump efficiency, and you can get an upward spiral in the
temperature.  In this rare case running at higher pressure helps by holding
down the localized boiling.  But I don't think this is happening in his case as
I said; I only suggested he try a higher pressure cap cause it's a free/simple
check that at least eliminates one remote possibility....

MD

--- Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 02/6/1999  3:39:34PM,  mdietsche@yahoo.com writes:
>
> << And try a 15 lb cap just to see, although I don't think the
>  cap's the problem. >>
>
> The cap pressure rating never has any effect whatsover on the temperature the
>
> cooling system runs at.  What it does is varying the boiling point of the
> coolant: more pressure = higher boiling temperature.
>
> Daniel1312

===

Michael B. Dietsche, P.E.