77 Midget gear shift lever

To: midgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 77 Midget gear shift lever
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:43:55 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Simple question.  I removed the gear shift lever from my 79 Midget
and not I cannot get it back into the socket.  This is what I
can tell, the lower ball seems to go into the lever thing (technical
term) that shifts the gears.  So I can select a gear or neutral.  The
problem is that the gear shift lever does not seem to go in the last
1/2 inch.  This makes the cap that holds it all in place miss engaging
by about 1/4 of an inch.   For the life of me I cannot see what is causing
the hang, if it even is hung up.  I have tried wiggling it about and around
and using a rubber mallet in an effort to persuade it back into place.
Any ideas?  Also just how far is the upper ball suppose to be in the socket
anyway?

Thanks,

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget