Re: Buying a "kit " car

To: faulkner@redshift.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying a "kit " car
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:27:14 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/15/99 5:30:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
faulkner@redshift.com writes:

<< I am beginning to think that the only way to get the car I want is to get
 into a project. <snip>>
 I would be particularly interested in:
 1. What you paid. Was it too much? >>

My '77 Midget was $1600.  Not exactly a disassembled car, but it does require
a bunch of work.  A good deal IMO.

<< 2. General condition of the car. How much body work was necessary? Did you
 do it yourself or hire someone to do it?  >>

Most of the body work was completed by a previous owner.  Interior was worn
so I just finished replacing the carpets.  Seat covers are next.  Good
articles in PDLJMPR on this kind of stuff.

<< 3. How long did it take you to finish the project? >>

HAH!  I don't think they are ever finished!  But that's the fun of having an
LBC.  I bought the car in Nov. '98.  Not on the road yet, but soon.

<< 4. How much space did you need/have for the project was it enough? Were
 there any tools that you would not do the job without? >>

My garage is so small you have to go outside to change the socket on your
wrench.  It would be nice to have more room, but that's what I have.  Buy
tools as you need them.  If you use the tool a lot, buy the best you can
afford.  (Craftsman is my personal choice.)  If you only need them once in a
while you can buy less expensive tools.  Check out Harbor Freight
(http://www.harborfreight.com) for some great buys.  4" angle grinder for $20
but make sure you buy grinding wheels with it because you can't get them
anywhere else.

<< 5. If you were doing it again, what would you look for in a car in boxes?

I'd be careful when buying a car in boxes.  You simply can't know if
everything is there.  Especially if you don't have a lot of experience.
Disassembly is half the learning process.  If you didn't take it apart, you
won't know the trick to putting it back together.  The manuals can only tell
you so much.  Keep looking for a car that is driveable and fix things as you
gain experience.

<< 6. Would you do it again?  >>

In a minute, if I had the room.  I know a guy who has a very complete Triumph
GT6+ and a convertible VW Beetle just sitting at his shop that he would like
to get rid of.  I just don't have the room.  Both are easy cars to work on,
and both need complete restoration.

Make sure you check out all the classifieds at
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/class/North+AmericaCFS.html
Use your "find" function (CTRL-F) to search for your state on the page.  I'm
sure you'll find a lot of cars in varying condition.  Don't be afraid to try
fixing it yourself.  It's fun.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport