Re: 1275 in Bugeye

To: Bob Chamberlain <bobchamb@southwind.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1275 in Bugeye
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:38:00 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob,

I'm not sure about the grinding you refer to, but it is probably for
clearance of the different clutch plate. As I recall it is a little larger
than the 1275 one, though I'm not sure if there is really a need to do any
grinding. Try to get your hands on a "ribcase" gearbox, you'll be happier
with the upgrade.

What do you mean the carbs are shot? unless there is something broken off
of them, you should be able to clean and rebuild them. Not very difficult
really. It would be a mistake to put the smaller carbs on, as you loose a
lot of horsepower from the reduced airflow. Find another set of the right
carbs if you have to or consider a downdraft weber. They perform pretty
well and aren't as expensive as the sidedraft versions. You may even be
able to pick up a used one from somewhere on the list.

If you have a downflow radiator that is in GOOD shape, you should be
alright. If you're in doubt, have yours boiled out at a radiator shop or
have it re-cored with an extra row. I have a re-cored extra row downflow in
my Bugeye and my 1275 usually runs in the 160-170 degree range.

Gerard

At 2:19 AM -0700 6/21/99, Bob Chamberlain wrote:
>The 948 cc in my Bugeye is beginning to get a little tired so I plan on
>replacing it with the 1275 cc in my garage.I understand that there is a
>need to do a"slight" bit of grinding on the smoothcase bell housing to get
>it to fit. Other than that, what other considerations are there? Do I use
>the back plate from the 1275 and just bolt it on? How about clutch
>activation? The carbs on the 1275 are shot,---would like to run the HS2's
>from the 948. Would they bolt onto the 1275 manifold? Will the vertical
>flow radiator handle the BTU's.  I would like to hear from anyone who has
>done this conversion.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.    Bob C.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A