Re: Speedo & 5-speed

To: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo & 5-speed
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:09:31 -0400
Cc: Larry and Sandi Miller <millerls@email.msn.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
David Ramsey wrote:

> Larry,   Well my speedo made it to 711 miles.  I was wondering if you have
>the angle drive from Rivergate?  Joey from MO-MA told me that the cable from
>Rivergate was bad and last time made me a new cable.  The speedo was spot on
>at 60 mph measured on a 5-mile test.  What I'm wondering is does the 180 bend
>in the tunnel cause the cables to eat the speedo?  I have now gone through two
>cables and three speedos with this conversion so far.
>                 Crash

Guys

I have a 5 speed with a used Datsun speedo cable making the 180 bend
under the tranny. I used a small square brass sleeve over the jap caple
to mate to the brit speedo.
 It is real close to exact. Nothing fancy but a $1.49 piece of hollow
brass from the hobby display at my local hardware store and a few
minutes with a file.

For the A40 with a Toyota 5 speed and an original 80 MPH speedo, I have
swapped out the A40 speedo guts (80 mph) for an MGB speedo guts (120
mph) but I used the A40 80 mph face plate. Dead on at all speeds.

But we tight, we make do with what we find on the side of the road!
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ