your opinion, please

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: your opinion, please
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 07:37:22 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Spridgeteers,

I have in my parts pile a head marked between cylinders 1 & 2 with "O5G"
and between cylinders 2 & 3 with

          12G1316
              019
;
a crank marked

          12G1321
             EN16T
and
        CF3117N

;

and a block marked on the driver side (not on the side with the dipstick
hole) with
                        1
   22A       MOWOG  004        12G
                                             1279

on the center bearing cap: 12A998
rear bearing cap:
     AL0551
      JW
     SC6

What I was wondering is if you know whether these are for a 1275 spridget
and if so, are they worth using as the basis for a rebuild (assuming they
are in good tolerance)? That is, is there something inherently wrong with
any of these major parts as made at the factory? Are there others that are
more desirable (like the early 1275 EN40 nitrited cranks)? Is the EN16T
worth bothering with, or should I try to find an EN40?

I'm hoping to build this up for 3 main reasons:

1. educational - I think it will be fun to do it myself
2. a little more power - I'd like to try some of the strategies in Vizard
and others floating around on the list
3. reliability - I want to know it's done right, or at least done in a way
that I know its weaknesses.

There is no rush on this project as the current engine is fine, it turns
out, but I wanted to start lining things up for the winter.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html