O Ringing a Head Gasket

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: O Ringing a Head Gasket
From: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:47:39 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
David, we have tried this "O-ring" thing several times on the Team Thicko
Sprites.  One season, WST consistently blew head gaskets, blowing out
between number three and four cylinder.

What this involves is taking a thin piece of copper wire and either super
gluing it around the perimeter of the cylinder hole in the gasket, or
lifting up the small metal ridge that is formed around some types of head
gaskets, and forcing the wire in that space.  All this does is provide a
little additional thickness(at TT, we're plenty thick, alright)around the
cylinder hole opening of the head gasket.  When it is compressed under
torque, it squashes and in theory, provides a better seal.

Sometimes this works if the head is warped a bit.  Getting the little wire
to stay put on the head gasket is time consuming as all four cylinder holes
have to be "ringed".  And then you pray they stay in place when you put the
head on, etc etc..

I simply cannot recommend this procedure as it didnt help with WST's
problems and for the amount of time spent doing it...its just not worth it.

Gary
TT
Plover WI
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1579
www.thicko.com

PS  Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my Pigs thing.  I guess the
reason most people subscribe to this list is because they read the
description of it on the "lists" page.  After a while, the "chat" part of it
turns a lot of them off.  Thats just how some people are.  Me?  I am a
glutton for punishment, so I stay subscribed.