Front-end rebuild question

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front-end rebuild question
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:15:49 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

The Midget seems to be craving attention again.  While replacing the rear
brakes (the mechanic is doing this; apparently its a relatively difficult
job freeing the old components and lines from their rusty environment) it
became apparent that there is a lot more free play in the steering than
there was even 2 weeks ago.  We suspect that the car hasn't seen any grease
in about 20 years, and resultingly, the bushings are bad and the steering
reliability is degenerating.

I'm assuming that a front-end rebuild is in order.

However, for the sake of doing the job right, what is specifically involved?
Are there any "prophylactic" steps that should be taken to make the steering
and suspension last another 100,000 miles?  Are there other additional
procedures that should be done at about the same time?

I think the Midget must not want me to get the Healey that I mentioned
yesterday.  It seems rather sensitive on the matter.  Hmmm.  (I've got an
appointment to check it out this weekend.)

On a positive note, the attention that the car is getting seems to be paying
off.  The engine started up yesterday on the first turn of the key.  (First
time that's happened since I bought it.)

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com