various subjects

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: various subjects
From: "cfchrist" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 00:16:02 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
when using the copper comp. head gasket we always use copper coat in the
spray can for a uniform coating.  spraying both sides thoroughly.  hang up
and let thoroughly dry before installation.   except for permatourque head
gaskets(when dealing with other types of cars) we found that the statement"
warning needs no coating or adhesive" seemed to be for someone else.  in
dealing with older cars lbc or not you can never tell if the gasket set was
made yesterday or 40 years ago.  copper coat has worked well in all
instances with solid copper head gaskets, copper composition and standard
composition type gaskets with no faliure noted to date due to its use.   as
far as the seat belt mounting in a spridget goes.  i had a "y" type shoulder
harness for years.  i had it attached to the rear deck directly behind the
center of the drivers seat.  i went to an scca event after many years of
being away and was instructed to " change it to two individual  shoulder
harnesses" before my next event or i would fail tech inspection.  after
sounding like my son(3yrs old) asking "why-why-why?"  it was explained that
there had been found to be too much stress on a single shoulder harness in
an impact leading to belt failure.   no one wants to address the posibility
of the reality of an accident occuring.   but if all the upper body weight
is concentrated on that single strap being attached to sheet metal with a
single bolt retaining it and the recomended i believe 3" washer for backing
so it wont tear out  how safe are you?  seriously consider this when
upgrading seat belts.  yes 2 shoulder  belts are a bit to put on but it is
your  future you are protecting.    and on stuck motors,  after working with
an export company for a number of years shiping cars(yes even lbc's) over
seas we found that brake fluid worked well to loosen stuck motors.
customers didnt care if running just not siezed.  but after any attempt to
free any thing that was stuck,  change the oil not just once but a few times
frequently.   stored motors fall victim of bi-metalic reaction.   aluminum
and iorn/steel do not like each other!  oxidation from both elements seem to
grow and literally lock into each other.  having an intake or exhaust  valve
open dosent help either.  carbon attracts moisture like a sponge.  and guess
where the said carbon is?  yup domes of pistons and combustion chambers and
ports. a nasty combination wnen considering long term storage even
dismantled.   hope that i was of some help.  chuck.