23D dizzy installation

To: spritenut@Exit109.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 23D dizzy installation
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:26:13 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Spridgeteers,

Since the Sprite is running moderately well, I must change the set-up!  (I
am playing around today.) Anyway, I'm replacing the 25D dizzy (vacuum
advance) with a 23D4 (mechanical advance only) and I have a couple of
questions that possibly someone has experience with.

First, there is a rubber O ring on the 25D where the shaft meets the
shoulder of the dizzy body. The 23D4 is missing the ring - is it just a
normal ole O ring that I can pick up at the hardware store, or do I need to
special order a heat-resistant one? On my 23D4, there is an additional O
ring about 3/4 way up the shaft. Mine looks OK, but a little flattened,
suggesting to me that I should replace it, too. Again, is this a special O
ring, or a hardware item?

Second, how do you lubricate a 23D4? The 25D has a little pad in the end of
the shaft and it gets a couple of drops of light oil. There is no such
arrangement for the 23D4. Also, both dizzies have a relief about halfway
down the shaft, but only the 25D has a hole drilled through the shaft, and
I'm wondering if this has something to do with the oiling mechanism.

Finally, do the centrifigal weights need lubing, and if so, what is the
procedure?

Thanks for any information on this,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html