Mystery Alternator

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Mystery Alternator
From: Christian Stanton <cstanton@pixley.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:50:43 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
'78 1500 CA w/76 Spit engine.

Disclaimer: Yes I know I should just ditch the Lucas Alternator and buy a
replacement (NAPA $116 for a Bosch) but tinkering with the thing makes me happy.
----------------------
I blew the voltage regulator on my genuine Lucas alternator and took it off to
clean it up and figure out what I needed to rebuild it.  Both Moss and VB have
three numbers for the Alternator:
16-ACR 23716
16-ACR 23804
17-ACR 23748
The v-reg, rectifier (diodes), pulley and fan are different for the -804 and
-748

the one I have says:
16-ACR 027812V

The engine has been transplanted from a previous owner from a Spit.
Moss's Spit catalog doesn't list the alternator variations.

I don't really care about what the alternator is, but I need to know what the
v-reg used is or at least how to identify between the 716 and the 804/748.
ANYBODY PLEASE?

Christian