'bugeye' concourse question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 'bugeye' concourse question
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:49:16 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I'm posting this for a friend of my that is doing a nut and bolt concourse
restoration of a 59 bugeye. He is currently reconditioning the front suspension
components, and has a questions about how A-arm swivel pin assemblies were
painted at the factory, he is starting with an 'orginal' bugeye, that was
bought
by his dad back in '59, which was never 'modified' (he was the blueprint for me
putting my 'basket-case' together - thank god!).

Were the slave cylinders in place when dipped. (less tube & fittings)?
>From what I could tell, the dipping was interesting, the bolts (inside)
holding the backing plate were not painted, nor was the axle spindle tip or
cylinder bodies. I think they painted the inside of the plate then assembled
it to the spindle with cylinders, then dip painted the assy to get the
a-arm, king pin, and rear (outside) of the backing plate and spindle. The
brake line fixings were added after, but I think the cylinders and mounting
hardware were in place with hydraulic holes plugged. Hope that makes it
clear.

Regards,
Bryan Vandiver (59-bugeye)
San Jose, CA