Re: dem's da ...

To: RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dem's da ...
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 07:21:39 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/27/99 10:49:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca writes:

<< Any cautions
 that I should be aware of in rebuilding a rear cylinder and then storing it?
 Bag it?)    ast.

 I haven't done brakes beyond pads, shoes, drums and rotors and don't have
 any specialty tools  >>

Robert:

The wheel cylinder replacement or rebuild is a fairly easy and
straightforward process.  If you are rebuilding, just lay the parts out in
the order they come out of the cylinder, then replace with the new parts in
that order.  Really easy.  Best to wet the new rubber internals with brake
fluid before assembling.

I found it easier to deal with the "C" clip which holds the cylinder to the
Brake backing plate with a regular c-clip expander which I bought at Advance
auto for about $10.  It includes a variety of changeable tips so I can deal
with inside or outside c-clips.  You need to deal withthe C-clip to remove
the cylinder, whether you replace or rebuild.

As far as rebuildng and storing the old cylinder, I think having a spare is a
good idea but I am not sure I would rebuild it yet.  Just clean the old
one(s) up really good, coat it in some brake fluid and seal in a plastic
zip-lock.  Then either purchase a rebuild kit (both sides should always be
rebuilt) and keep it, or wait till you need a cylinder job and purchase the
kit.  You may opt then to rebuild the newer cylinders instead of the old ones
anyway.

The problem as I see it is that if you purchase the rebuild kit and either
store or rebuild the old cylinders is that it might be years before you need
it (hopefully).  That could render the rubber unusable or at least suspect.
I think it would be best to purchase a fresh rebuild kit at that time rather
than pull an old one off the shelf -- especially if it has been installed in
a cylinder and left to sit for several years.  The listers may have a
different opinion.

Just my loose change.

---David C.