Question for George Marinos and/or other Concours Judges on the List

To: "Jeff Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Question for George Marinos and/or other Concours Judges on the List
From: "Wiedemeyer" <boxweed@thebest.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:51:06 -0400
Cc: "spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have several '63 Spridgets that I am either restoring or using for parts
cars.  I have noticed that on all of the cars that are original, complete,
unmolested specimens with either blue or red interior and light blue, black
or white exterior, the metal cover that goes over the gearshift matches the
interior color rather than the exterior color.  I have scraped the paint off
in small areas to see if the exterior color of paint is underneath, but have
not found this to be the case in any of them.  I am wondering if this cover
was actually painted at the factory to match the interior, since, in '63,
the cockpit was "spruced up" with complete sets of paneling over the doors,
rugs on the floors instead of rubber mats, and vinyl covering over the door
molding tops.  I know that the '61s and '62s had the cover painted the same
as the exterior of the car, but there was also a lot more of the exterior
color seen on the interior of these particular models, so the cover didn't
look out of place being the same as the exterior color.  After all this, my
question is:  Would I lose judging points if I paint the gearshift cover on
a '63 Spridget the same color as the interior?

Thanks,
Bob