The Midget has taken up smoking

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Midget has taken up smoking
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:18:57 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear list:

I'm sure that this must be one of the most debated Spridget questions, but
after some experimenting with dashpot oils, I have had the best result with
simple three-in-one oil.

Since I started using it, the '74 Midget has not once failed to start, where
previously I was having significant trouble, particularly when the engine
was already warm.

However, yesterday, when starting the car cold, I for the first time saw
some wisps of white smoke coming up from under the bonnet on the windscreen
side.  Could this be caused by the dashpot fluid burning somehow?

I checked all through the car for the source of the smoke, to no avail.  It
did not smell like electrical parts or insulation frying, and once the car
started (after lifting the hood and having the Missus turn the key) the
smoke went away.  When starting the car sometime later, with the engine
warm, I did not notice any smoke or any smell.  If the source of the smoke
was from a level below the carbs, I would have guessed that it would linger
and I'd be able to find it.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Incidentally, I do have a fire extinguisher
(ABC) mounted conveniently in the cockpit.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com