1275 oil pressure

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1275 oil pressure
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:34:03 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi all,

I'm still fighting a persistant oil leak on my newly rebuilt 1275 engine (all
new bearings, hepolite pistons, and new 12g940 head, and kent md266 cam and
lifters). I had installed one of the 'precision' super-flow oil pumps in the
engine, and my normal starting oil presure is between 80-90 lbs, (warm
california day) and at normal operating temperature (280 degrees), the pressure
will drop to 40lbs at idle, and normally sits at about 60lbs at crusing speed.
Is that normal???
I notice that after I'm up to operating temperature, when I park the car for 15
minutes or so, I leave a nice healthy puddle of oil (6 inches in diameter), and
when I pull into my drive way, there is a nice trail of drips all the way into
the garage.
So far I haven't really been able to locate the source, and short of 'pulling
the engine, I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll try to degrease the engine as
best as I can with some soap and hot water, and check it over thoroughly to
make
sure all the oil has been cleaned off, and then start and run it for a few
minutes, and see if any oil seeps out. I think I also try using a 'thinner' oil
(10w-40, or 5w-30) to see if that reduces the pressure.
Other than the persistant leak, the engine seems to be running really strong,
and starts very easily.

BTW - I'm using catrol GTx 20w-50, and a 'spin-on' fram oil filter

Regards,
Bryan Vandiver (59-bugeye)
San Jose, CA