Was : 5 speed (maybe) car FS; now dead Ribcase...

To: "'Larry & Sandi Miller'" <millerls@ado13.com>
Subject: Was : 5 speed (maybe) car FS; now dead Ribcase...
From: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@attws.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:40:23 -0700
Cc: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Just E-mail him, I might need a 5 speed.
 Which comes at a good time because Aimee was driving the sprite on Friday
and got it locked in reverse. The Gear shift would shift into 3rd and 4th
but when in the "neutral" area it was firmly in reverse. When shifted into
3rd or 4th the tranny locked up solid.
 I towed it home (about 2 miles) with the clutch depressed. (My foot kept
cramping!) got it up on jack stands and drained the tranny. One small very
stiff spring came out with the oil which was very brassy.  I took the side
cover off (still in the car) and took it out of reverse. I could then shift
into 1rst through 4th with no problems. However when I tried to go into R,
the shifter won't go over far enough and I end up grabbing 4th and Reverse
at the same time, locking it back up.
 This was about the time that my neck started to cramp from looking into the
mirror so I could see into the tranny and I got a big piece of grease in my
eye, so I said a few choice words about the English designers who made it
impossible to remove the transmission without pulling the engine,  and went
inside to drown my anger in a beer.

Any Ideas? besides duct tape?