Re: Spridgetstock 2000

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spridgetstock 2000
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:49:03 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello Allen and List

At 03:34 PM 11/1/99 EST, Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Obviously, having your "do" either before or after the Round-Up is the best
>time.  Many of us would not consider going to Texas for a Healey thing
>without proper motivation.  It's a long drive from Philadelphia, and two
>reasons are better than one.  (Even if I don't have a Healey.)  I'd also
like
>to see San Antonio.

Well................it could easily be more than two.  Fiesta takes place
in April - I'm trying to get the exact dates.  For those of you who can
stay a little longer that may be an idea.

Having said that, there are the wild flower trails -  simply beautiful.
Lots and lots of historical places.

>Make sure that we would not interfere with any other Healey events that may
>be before or after the Round-Up.

Who has a calendar of events nationwide?

>We should find out the cost of attending the Round-Up, including rooms at
the
>Inn.  Are there any other motels at low cost nearby that are
air-conditioned?
> I'd rather not tent if it is too hot in April, and it may be easier than
>imposing too much on you.

April is usually a really nice month - but, as they say in Texas - If you
don't like the weather, wait a moment, it'll change.  The weather is
usually quite mild, nice sunny days and cool evenings - but don't hold me
to that - I don't give guarantees on the weather.
There is a motel type place in Comfort - their rates are $60 per night,
double or king.
There is a place that has rooms, and then has a log cabin that sleeps four,
and a couple of chalet type places and their rates are between $65 & $110.
Then, of course, there are some expensive places, but we won't go into that.
There are a amultitude of B&Bs. at various rates.
Rates at the Inn are between $69 (single) and $78 (double)
We wouldn't consider it an imposition.  If you have the wherewithall to
camp or RV it here, we are happy to have you.

>A Texas Barbecue sounds great.  Invite as many LBC clubs as you can!!!  Of
>course, I would expect to pay you something for all your trouble, and I'm
>sure most others will too.

The only expense that I think we would incur would be the renting of the
port-a-potties.
I would buy a number of soft drinks that we'd keep on hand for folks to
purchase at cost - we'd leave them in an accesible place and work on the
honour system.
I think I can afford to provide the trimmings for one meal for
everyone,since wee'll already have the venison,  and if we decide to have
other meals then we'll work out cost per person price, and buy what we need
to make it.  As I have said, I make a mean Lancashire Hot Pot.

>I am still not sure I want to undertake such a long drive, but with Frank's
>encouragement (and as a driving partner!) I may just make it.
If you  manage to get a caravan organised it would be a lot of fun.  Just
Do It!!

>I can see the headlines now..."10,000 Maniacs invade Comfort, TX!"
Since Comfort isn't incorporated I can't even get a 'thankyou' from the
Chamber of Commerce for bringing them all this business.  The headlines in
the local weekly paper might be interesting though, I bet we make it into
the coverage of the Sheriff's Blotter!!

>Allen Hefner
>SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
>'77 Midget