RE: alternator conversion

To: grbyrns@ucdavis.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: alternator conversion
From: curt.onstott@orst.edu
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:07:51 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I recently replaced my generator with an alternator.  Unfortunately, I blew
my cylinder head a week later so I have not done much driving...  The
alternator works great-- the lights don't dim at idle anymore!

Are you supplying a field voltage to your alternator?  My alternator came
out of a dodge D50 truck.  I also salvaged the wiring harness connector.  I
wired the large lug on mine straight to the positive terminal on the battery
(Actually the positive lug on the starter solenoid.)  I then wired one of
the lugs to the fuse block-- to a fuse that is only powered when the
ignition is on.  This provides field voltage so the alternator can start
charging.  I left my voltage regualtor intact.  Since my alternator setup
completely bypasses it, the regulator just sits there.  I have not attempted
to hook up my ignition light yet.  For this, I think I would have to mess
with the regulator a little.

They are not terrible powerful alternators-- someday I'm going to figure out
how to install a high-output GM alternator because they are a lot cheaper
and more durable.