Re: Which Crane ignition unit?

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: Which Crane ignition unit?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:22:09 -0500
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Lancer7676@aol.com wrote:
> I have a question!!!   I went to the Crane site to see about ordering one of
> the reconditioned electronic ignition units for my 1979 Midget 1500 (Xmas
> gift from the spouse). >
>
> Should I order the unit that is made for the 1979 or should I order the unit
> made to replace points?  It seems like the 1979 unit would be adjusted or
> constructed with the pollution equipment in mind, whereas mine has all been
> removed.

  The modules are the same, the only difference is in the hardware
that goes under the cap.

  The chopper wheel is a plastic disc that slips onto the distributor
shaft, and has cuts in it that are read by a sensor.

  For the original unit in your Midget 1500, the chopper wheel
has clips and looks like a castle turret, it clicks in where
your existing white rotor wheel was.

  For the points unit, the rotor has an oval-square hole that
you squeeze over the points cam to hold it in place.

  The only other difference is that the sensor holder and
tiny bracket might be a different shape or have different holes
to match the existing mounting holes in your dizzy.

kit for the points. I beleive one model of crane covers every LUCAS
distributor that had four cylinders.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca