Re: small questions

To: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: small questions
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:11:08 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert Duquette wrote:

> Hey!
>
> Mini questions actually!
>
> I was looking at what's left of a mini that someone pointed me at, hoping
> that it might be a 1275.  Well, it's not.  But observations and questions
> have arisen.
>
> The thermostat housing looks like mine.  ( check my web page )  Someone else
> commented that they had a non standard thermostat housing?
>
> Another observation is that there was a heat control device quite different
> from our 'turn the tap' valves, but which should bolt on.  I didn't look
> very closely as I was pressed for time.  ( like I'm not always! )
>
> Wasn't there some reason that mini engines don't fit into a spridget?  For
> some reason, I thought that the intake/exhaust was on the other side from
> ours.  This one wasn't.

Minis have the same engine (A series) but starting at 850cc running up
to modern 1300 A+ series.
The engines are almost the same, they use a drop gear on the crankshaft
to operate the transmission in the sump. The flywheel and clutch is very
different as is the crankshaft. This is a sidewinder engine. All the
parts are interchangable except the bare block, crankshaft, tranny
gears, and exhaust manifold. The intake is offset a bit different but it
works.
The t/stat housings are just a bit different in the offset.
The heater control fits right on a Spridget since I used one for the
A40.
If you use a Mini heater control and do some modifications to your
heater cble, you can turn the valve on from inside the car, even set it
1/2 way if you like.
However, it does have to come off if you remove the engine since it will
snag on the heater/battery shelf when the engine is tilted to be
removed. (been there, done that)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ